First Thoughts

Psst, you can talk about the game here!
dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

First Thoughts

Postby dream3r » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:39 am

Note that as of writing this SFT is in pre-alpha and has been live for less than 24 hours. All thoughts and opinions are just that, opinions.

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time and I expect a LOT of it so devs, you're going to have a hard time fully satisfying me but I've seen the hard work you've been putting in and I think you're one of the few teams who could actually pull off an RTS MMO that will keep me playing for years down the road. So let's get to my thoughts on day one now that it's coming to an end.
  • Too Much Space with Too Little to Do: This will change as time goes on and more content gets added I'm sure but this can quickly go the wrong direction I think so I just want to state my thoughts and see what your plans are with the universe. I was surprised by the number of solar systems once you zoom out enough but after traveling to them I found there was nothing more to do than to fight pirates, dodge asteroids, and collect one type of ore and try your best to bring it back to your mothership. (In most cases losing most of it to bugs or ships colliding together during battles)

The layout of the systems reminded me of Spore and how you had a huge amount of places to go but nothing to do once you got there. I imagine it will be a long time before a game could handle a single map universe where the battles take place in the same map you travel in but I did not expect the solar systems to be a bunch of separate tiny little maps though. I imagined something much larger perhaps spreading across a few systems. (But once again I pictured the battles and base building to take place in those systems too) Regardless of what my hopes were whatever you do there needs to be far more to do and it needs to be more exciting than it currently is. Everything for the most part is rather bland.

Bland Battles at the Start: I'm finally starting to have a bit more fun now that I have 14 ships and more weapons and customization to do with them but for the first few hours combat was basically put a ship down and move it a bit without making it crash into other friendlies. I'm determined to find the fun of Starfall Tactics but a new player that hasn't followed you for awhile might just come and go if they aren't shown more earlier on.

Dodge Allies: Okay I can get the whole crashing ships being realistic but right now smaller ships live in a big battle for about five seconds and big ships fifteen. I don't have time to give them individual orders before the enemy kills them so I really don't need them crossing paths and killing themselves when I try to reposition the group.
Overall Thoughts: Right now gameplay is pretty dull, some of the mechanics are a bit clunky, and the game's pretty buggy. It's just a pre-alpha so bugs should be fixed as time goes on but my main concern is just whether or not the game will be fun. I have high hopes for the game and the team behind it. Please, don't prove me wrong.

Keep creating,
Dakota

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: First Thoughts

Postby relampago » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:15 am

Hello!

Thanks a lot for this feedback!

We'll be sure to add more content and fix bugs. We also hope that you will like Starfall Tactics more and more with every test :)
I'm watching you!

pwnstar
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby pwnstar » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:06 pm

My biggest problem was the loading time between stars. These are pretty small areas, it shouldn't be taking five seconds to load the next star.

dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dream3r » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:47 am

My biggest problem was the loading time between stars. These are pretty small areas, it shouldn't be taking five seconds to load the next star.
I didn't have that issue on my PC. Well the system loaded in pretty much instantly, I did wait 2 seconds for th ship to show up but figured that was normal.

pwnstar
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby pwnstar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:04 am

The camera hovers over the star for a few seconds, then it moves to the gate for two seconds and then your ship warps in. It adds up when you are on a 10 or 15 star journey.

Very annoying.

Return to “Starfall Online General Discussion”