Gameplay speed

Psst, you can talk about the game here!
ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Gameplay speed

Postby ebergar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Hello guys,

I would like to know, whether opinions around here are mostly same as mine - that this game needs slower pace. Ships with better overall defenses, maybe minor adjustments to movements/animations just to make it a little more manageable for people.

This yields several pros and cons, i'll add Yours to the list:

PROS:
- one can make it into joining other player during battle in hex
- more manageable for non-rts folk (attracts casual players)
- harder nuts to crack means more satisfaction after beating down that turtled cruiser/mothership
- your own fleet is harded to beat, too
- more time to decide what to do in midfight
- more avoidable cannonfire
- though the game is slower, no turns included (i do like turn based games ;) )

CONS:
- not everybody got the time
- some prefer fast paced ecounters
- some prefer to lay waste quickly
- more vulnerable fleets means more micromanagement, which is nice for some people
- increased chance that Your slow weapons get avoided (because these are even slower)
- hella lot development time spent to get game smoothly working in slower pace. Not only cooldowns/ship movements, also enemy spawns, HP's, shields/armour regen adjustement and lotta more.
Last edited by ebergar on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narfi
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Gameplay speed

Postby narfi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:12 pm

personally iam more in favor of a slower, but more tactical gameplay instead of a micro heavy clickfest.

while i can understand that skillful micro player like that kind of gameplay, for myself i was always more intrested in the less micro heavy RTS games out there.
I also believe that a slower paced game could potentially attract a larger playerbase with more casual players, which i think is needed to make a game such as this feel alive. If the combat is to micro heavy, u might end up with a small hardcore playerbase, which might not be enough to keep the game intresting enough.

pwnstar
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby pwnstar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:30 pm

The game's current pace requires tons of micromanagement as ships can quickly plow into each other. A slower pace would give the player more time to react to ramming and modules activating .

abstracthaze
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby abstracthaze » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:43 am

gameplay for me consisted of:
looking at my ships and moving them in lines away form each other cause if they were not crashing into each other then ones from the back row would be friendly firing ones in front... it was a pain in the butt .
once u had past 3 or 4 ships, it started becoming more where do i place this platform and where to i place that platform cause by golly if you moved them. better hope they don't crash.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know that we keep an eye on this topic and remind about upcoming changes to collisions between friendly ships :)
I'm watching you!

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:01 pm

The game's current pace requires tons of micromanagement as ships can quickly plow into each other. A slower pace would give the player more time to react to ramming and modules activating .
Assuming that friendly ramming gets fixed, whats Your opinion on the topic?
about upcoming changes to collisions between friendly ships :)
DO NOT unintentionally disable friendly fire. Rarer collisions yes, but turning off friendly fire no. This kind of micromanagement is very amusing to watch :D

pwnstar
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby pwnstar » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:19 pm

whats Your opinion on the topic?
I agree with your pros and cons.

My main issue with the speed (beyond the reason I stated above) is there is no real setup time when pirates attack you (you get setup if you attack them first). So you barely have time to issue orders before they are upon you. You might say "Well, that's what a surprise attack is", but I saw them coming. You have a sight radius on the Discovery map and you get a chance to run or stay and attack. 100% of the time I was attacked by pirates, it's because I wanted to fight them. Yet because I didn't explicitly click on the pirates first, the game treated it like I was surprised by hidden pirates. This was never the case.

dondergod
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby dondergod » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Speed of the ships was my feedback as well.
It is way too fast.

My suggestion was to decrease it about 3X. Which would make a battle last maybe 5 minutes. But it could also be made even slower.

It depends a bit on how big fleets become as well. With 10-20 ships a 5-8 minute battle is nice.
If we are looking at fleets of 25+ ships it should go towards 10 minutes

grayknight
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby grayknight » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:24 pm

With slower ships that have more hp feelling of battles would be better, battle would be also more fair as it would allow players that do not like starcraft like aproach to combat which have resaults based on more clicks per second, also it would allow for far better modules usage.

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:04 pm

starcraft like aproach to combat which have resaults based on more clicks per second
Bravo grayknight, You nailed my problem down.

That's why I never played starcraft (besides first mission).

Return to “Starfall Online General Discussion”