Thank you so much for such a detailed analysis - this one really helps a lot! Our Team member who is in charge of game balance has already read it and will take some measures, If needed.
wow good to know
I just want to add that i think you should harmonise dps the following way
• First by Tech level dps increase per tech Level so that a tier 3-4 can never have less dps than tier 1
o right now some tech 3 or 4 still have lower dps than same type weapon of lower grade which feels meh
• by size since a weapon that uses 6-8 slot should clearly do more than a weapon of 3-4
o right now laser have max size of 6 and have the highest possible dps when things like the gauss that needs ammo and 8 slot have barely half its dps, same goes for missile they are huge for most part need ammo and do pretty ridiculous damage
• By Range to implement risk versus reward
o short range weaponry should have an edge in brawl as it is harder to get to close range and since you also put your ship in harms waym you expose your ship to high damage and said ships need to be outfitted to take the pain, while right now you can just make a scout outfit all the army with long range and upgrade to dps and not have to worry much about retaliations
• related to above, you could add Fall Off damage Charts to weapon Tag,
o Example weapon tagged for close range would have max range of say 7k, 1s cd, 60dps BUT when target is further than 4k the laser loose 50% dmg and only does full 60dps when closer than 4k
o Example weapon tagged for long range would have max range or 14k, 6s cd, 80dps BUT when target is closer than 7k it loose half dps and only get the full dps on target further than 7k
• i saw you already started but keep going on special variant of weapons, piercing, heating and so on, it adds flavor, although i would like to see things like EMP doing much more dmg to shield, Corrosive doing stackable dmg over time to hull, plasma doing damage over time to HP, some weapon with aoe effects, some weapon that web/slow ships. weapon with effects should of course have the base weapon adjusted to compensate for the new effects
• Last thing, i would like to see numbers on devices, most of time except descriptions we dont really know how they do it
o How much shield does EMP burst removes?
o how much does plasma web do overtime and should mention that additional plasma web shot on it increase its radius,
o how long some device work,
o how many bullets/sec or missile/sec device shoot down,
o same goes to Active armor it says shoot big projectiles but ... which one ... how many
for the size and cd some devise take they should be much more efficient, example plasma web takes 8? with 20sec? CD and the damage it was doing seemed ridiculous compared to what my ships gun would do
the one that gives piercing i didn't see any noticeable difference either with how much dmg was piercing armor to hp.
Considering that most of the modules are 3-4 slots or bigger and and do take capacity slot too and for that same price you can have anything between 1500 Shield, 20 regen shield/s, 1500 armor, additional adaptive or active armor
this would encourage players to play more tactical on maps instead of just see who spot the other one first and snipe him across the map before you can get to retaliate.
This way long range army still would have an advantage at spotting enemy early but as the enemy gets closer it loose lot of dps if the player doesn't reposition its ships on the battlefield.
I dont want the game to become a simple Brawl either, both type of game-play should be rewarded if played correctly and i think that if weapons are fixed properly in addition to some tweaks to how they work the consensus could be reached