Dreaming of ST's Universe

Introduce yourself to the community and ask newbie questions!
dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

Dreaming of ST's Universe

Postby dream3r » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:52 am

There is so much to say, where do I start?

First things first, you have a team of seven and you're pursuing more than many AAA teams of hundreds manage to pursue. Right now it's mostly concept art and words but how you've presented those concepts and words makes me feel like you can really pull this off. I know one thing your team is the same size of mine yet you're pursuing something so large and magnificent you both inspire me and make me envious. I can't wait to see what you accomplish as the Kickstarter comes and goes.

I'm supposed to be working on my game right now but I just spent two hours foaming at the mouth looking at through this beautiful site of yours so let me just list the things I feel you're doing right.

1) The website, it looks great and the navigation is excellent. Plus the forums are integrated into the main site itself. So many games have their forum separate from the main site, it helps keep it all together to do what you did. Whoever designed it did a really good job so congrats.

2) Your goals and commitment. It's very hard to decide what to pursue, what risk to take, and where to hold back. Many games fall victim of either coming up short because the devs promised dreams or being dull because the team/publisher was afraid to take risk. You guys seem to have some really ambitious goals (like clans being able to split from the faction and form their own territory) but you know where to stick with the core concept and hold onto your laser guns. For example sticking with 2D and making the game have more depth rather than unnecessary complexity. I can tell you one thing if I would have seen a 3D, complex, space game when I first found the site I would have backed away and not been here now.

3) Your concept art...oh man it is good and it feels perfect for the game. This picture right here,

makes me want to play the game just like that. Like make it have a slight 3D feel to it with the HUD and let me make choices like that.

4) The feeling of self-importance.

You're telling me that I can stick within my region and do PVE battles and not worry about players kicking my butt? Awesome. you're also saying if I do make some friends on here and form a clan we could break off from our faction and conquer portions of the outer regions? Freaken fantastic!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Overall I'm sold on the game and I'll be supporting the Kickstarter (and the game onwards) when it goes live. I just wish I was better off financially so I could sink money into it. Hopefully I can by the time's release. Please just don't do like these other projects I've supported on there. Almost 20 supported so far on KS and Indiegogo and I've only seen ONE make it to a final release and I swear it feels like the dev just took the demo he made, added some art, and said it's done. So disappointing.

I want this game to make it, I want to customize my ships, and I want to spread throughout the galaxy and never have to play a game again. (Okay maybe that's exaggerating a bit)

If I can do anything to help promote you let me know. I've signed up for the newsletter and to be informed on the KS. I'll be sharing what I can without overflowing my followers on Twitter XD.

If you guys want to reach out you can find me on Twitter @LivingDramEnt. I wish you the best of luck and when our games get big enough to make a difference for you guys I'd love to cross promote somehow. (It'll be odd with us being fantasy based on a different timeline but we'll find a way XP)

Take care,
-Dakota

mad-scorp
Lead Game Developer
Lead Game Developer

Re: Dreaming of ST's Universe

Postby mad-scorp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:52 am

Hi dream3r,
Thank you very much for such a positive response! We are glad to know that other people love the things we do. It`s always inspiring. :)
If I can do anything to help promote you let me know. I've signed up for the newsletter and to be informed on the KS. I'll be sharing what I can without overflowing my followers on Twitter XD.
Some promotion on Twitter will be very nice :)
I wish you the best of luck and when our games get big enough to make a difference for you guys I'd love to cross promote somehow. (It'll be odd with us being fantasy based on a different timeline but we'll find a way XP)
We are always happy to help indie teams - we need to stick together!
See ya!
We shall know no fear!

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:24 am

There is so much to say, where do I start?

First things first, you have a team of seven and you're pursuing more than many AAA teams of hundreds manage to pursue. Right now it's mostly concept art and words but how you've presented those concepts and words makes me feel like you can really pull this off. I know one thing your team is the same size of mine yet you're pursuing something so large and magnificent you both inspire me and make me envious. I can't wait to see what you accomplish as the Kickstarter comes and goes.
My feelings on this topic are as follows: The GUI is nearly done, the functionality is getting made (obviously they have shown us only working parts), the game seems to be really getting these goals.
I'm supposed to be working on my game right now
Oh sure, just like me, I am supposed to work on my company's app, but I check things out here instead :).
1) The website, it looks great and the navigation is excellent. Plus the forums are integrated into the main site itself. So many games have their forum separate from the main site, it helps keep it all together to do what you did. Whoever designed it did a really good job so congrats.
The website suffers from some minor visual bugs, but overall it is OK. And I don't care about whether forums are on separate address or not.

Like make it have a slight 3D feel to it with the HUD and let me make choices like that.
Agreed.
You're telling me that I can stick within my region and do PVE battles and not worry about players kicking my butt? Awesome.
I Always enjoy this kind of possibility in any game.

Overall I'm sold on the game and I'll be supporting the Kickstarter

So am I and so do I.
I want this game to make it, I want to customize my ships, and I want to spread throughout the galaxy and never have to play a game again. (Okay maybe that's exaggerating a bit)

Or You can just eat marshmallows roasted on yer enemies' petty fleets.

PS:
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/250 ... ?locale=en
Here You can help this game out.

dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dream3r » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:38 am

PS:
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/250 ... ?locale=en
Here You can help this game out.
Thanks, I've supported them on Thunderclap and Epocu now. I think I prefer Epocu's setup (it actually embed their video for example) anyways this is a cool concept that I've heard of and never checked out before. Definitely going to have to check this out sometime for my own game.

@mad-scorp We'll keep in touch ;)

alanir
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby alanir » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Keep on and dream! We are listening the story :)
Sith will not come through!

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Aw shucks. Thanks, Dakota. I'm the web design/concept art guy, so it's especially nice to hear that my work is invoking all the right fellings from people :) And it's just really cool to know that someone is as excited about Starfall Tactics as we are at Snowforged.

Have a good one and wish you luck with Out of the Storm! :D

dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dream3r » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Aw shucks. Thanks, Dakota. I'm the web design/concept art guy, so it's especially nice to hear that my work is invoking all the right fellings from people :) And it's just really cool to know that someone is as excited about Starfall Tactics as we are at Snowforged.

Have a good one and wish you luck with Out of the Storm! :D
No problem just giving credit where credit is due and thanks. I'm just trying to get it to a point where it looks semi-playable so we can crowdfund, or at least crowdfund more than the $2 we're getting on Patreon at the moment haha.

You guys are going to have to super-seriously-mega-market this game. It looks good and you seem trustworthy so you'll get people's support but you need a ton of people seeing your page to make it. If you look at KS right now board games and card games are doing well but video games are pretty much failing left and right. This is mostly due to the reason I said before, I've supported nearly twenty projects which has cost me hundreds and I've got nothing from it. I'd still support a project or two because I'm an indie myself and I know the struggle but most people right now just feel burnt.

That plus Steam's early access has gamers feeling support fatigued. More times than not, supporting a game means getting screwed over. Either the devs don't take it seriously (Cube World hasn't been updated since July 2013), they weren't prepared (many studios go bankrupt despite having the KS money), or they simply scam you (H1Z1).

You've come at a very difficult time to crowdfund and it's going to be a challenge but you'll be able to pull it off if you can get enough people talking about the game. Journalist, bloggers, youtubers, big and small you need them talking. You're average Joe with 200+ Facebook friends, you need them talking. Other devs that might like this project, you need them talking. Everyone of you is going to have to become a marketing machine to make this come to life and it's going to take more than the couple dozen people that are following you right now. You need hundreds of thousands seeing this project so that 1/100 will support you.

I can't wait to see what you do, I haven't been so excited for a project in a long time. Take care,
-Dakota

dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dream3r » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:39 am

Apologies for being gone for awhile. Still looking forward to the game, just been busy.

On the plus side getting to work on my own sci-fi styled things too XD Not sure how much will actually end up in out game more so lore type things.

Anyways hope to see more from you guys and best of luck!

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:15 am

Apologies for being gone for awhile. Still looking forward to the game, just been busy.

On the plus side getting to work on my own sci-fi styled things too XD Not sure how much will actually end up in out game more so lore type things.

Second guy looks best to me.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:35 am

Happy to see you here!

Thanks for your wishes, hope to hear more from you too :)
I'm watching you!

Return to “New Player Corner”