Step 1 - Tutorials
When you start playing Starfall Tactics, the first thing you will do - is going through tutorial mission and context tips. Please, don't skip it as it carefully tells you about all the main things in the MMO mode. Still, if you got troubles or already know everything about the game - you can disable it: open console (~) and type "ToggleSFTutorial" to switch it off.
Step 2 - What can I do here?
Once you finish tutorials, you wonder what shall I do? In Starfall Tactics, it's up to you to decide - however, to get further in the Galaxy you need to craft special keys, mine resources, build new ships and kill pirates. And here is the short list of the most common things you can do after finishing Tutorials:
Play a Survival mode to get used to battles - it's available in the Main Menu through QUICK MATCH tab.
- Choose an "easy" difficulty for a good start
- Here you should protect your base from enemy ships.
- You have a constant income of a resource, which you spend on warping in new ships and upgrading Control Points.
- Warp in new ships by pushing TAB and choosing ships.
- Capture Control Points and upgrade them - push on captured point and choose "Upgrade to"...
- If you get tired of enemy waves, open text chat (Enter) and type "GG" to surrender.
Go back to the Galaxy Map - push "Deploy" button, choose a Mothership to spawn on.
Join a House(guild) or create your own:
- Right-clik on your Mothership and go to House registry menu
- Type a name and a Tag to appear next to your name on the global map.
- House members have their own chat, can build new bases (required 10000 reputation points at minimum) and initiate attacks on enemy bases. All actions require a certain rank in the House and reputation which House member earn while performing different actions.
Great! Now you are a member of a serious organization.
- On each planet, repair station, inhabited planet and Black Market you can see yellow quest markers.
- Dock with it
- Go to the according tab and accept a quest
- Now you can see a quest panel on the left and track its progress. Note: if you need to get something, you have to actually transfer all items to the quest NPC.
- Once you finish this quest or get all required items - come back to the location where you received this quest and complete it.
Fight several pirates to get to the next level:
- Go to systems which are not conquered by your faction - they have a different color or don't have color at all.
- Explore systems and find pirate fleets
- Right click on them to attack
Don't forget to take all the loot back to your Mothership!
If you get your ships destroyed
No worries - you can get them back - just come back to the shipyard and wait until they repair or do the following:
- While on the star system map, push a recall button - the last one in your action bar.
- If your ship has already repaired - just push a "Recall" button and don't move until it's done.
- If your ships are under repair - you should spend some IGC to rush repairing. Total recall cost is written next to Recall button.
If your ship gets a level up
You definitely won't miss it as it has a nice animation!
- Go back to your shipyard
- Open a ship which leveled up - notice it by flashing signs
- Open ship mod tree, using an icon in the top middle of your screen, next to the wrench
- Choose 1 modification - it gives you a certain small bonus. Keep in mind, that you need to invest several points into the first modification to get access to further modifications.
- Push confirm button and save all changes for this ship.
On level 16 you will be able to unlock and choose an Alpha mod - a special module or a big bonus to characteristics. Note that ships don't get experience from completing quests - they need to actually participate in the battle.
Here you might have reached level 2 and unlocked the new detachment: go back to your shipyard, in the bottom middle of your screen choose a new detachment. Hmm. Looks like you need to create a frigate, right? But to do so, you need some resources which you can mine in Rich Asteroid Fields.
- Make sure you have a Mining Module installed inside one of your ships - it's usually there by default.
- Find Asteroid fields which are not just grey, but include glowing things - these are Rich Asteroid fields. You can check how much resources they contain by using Left Mouse Button.
- Enter Rich Asteroid field using "Explore selected sector" button
- Find some asteroids flying around and get close to them - mining module will automatically scan them and reveal resources
- Activate mining module by pushing a hotkey or pushing its' icon and point to the asteroid to start mining.
- Once cargo of all your ships becomes full - get outside of the rim of the map and return to the Shipyard.
Build a new ship and customize it
So, now you might have enough resources to build your first frigate.
- Go to your Shipyard
- Push "Build new ship" button
- In the new menu, you can choose a frigate in the right list - usually it will be 4 first ships.
- Make sure you have enough resources and IGC (In-game currency) and push "Build" button
- Wait for construction to complete. Now you can open it by clicking on it.
- Add some equipment you got while completing quests and killing pirates
- Go to visual customization menu (top middle button near the wrench) and choose a custom color or skin - don't worry, all in-game purchases are free for now.
Sometimes you can get projects of certain items - in other words - recipes.
- To create an item from a project, come back to the Shipyard and find "Craft Equipment" button
- Make sure you have enough resources and IGC to start crafting
- Start crafting. Wait for it to complete and then Acquire an item.
To craft items of another faction, like screechers weapons or Nebulords ships, you need their salvageable parts. When you destroy ships, you can see some salvageable parts dropping from it. To get them you need a Salvage module installed on your ship.
- Get Salvage Module: Buy it on a black market (marked with a hat&glasses sign on a global map), get as a reward or drop from enemies.
- Equip it to one of your ships
- Once you destroy an enemy ship, you can fly close to ship wreckage and activate Salvage module - small drones will start collecting it for you.
Get acces to new star systems:
By this time, you've probably got a huge "ACCESS DENIED" message and checked a context tip on warp gates. The matter is that to go deeper into space you need to craft a special item - Alpha Access Key.
- Go to the Crafting menu - there you can see the required item and recipe.
- Check what else do you need.
- Get all the required items from quests or by killing pirates.
- Come back and craft it!
Woohoo, you have to access to the next set of systems, in other words - Rings! Remember, that each next Ring requires other resources. Some of them - Decoders - can be acquired only as a loot from Pirate bases.
Quickly moving across the Galaxy and using Check point on neutral inhabited planet:
- To quickly move across the Galaxy, you can find inhabited planets and use a special function available on them, allowing to warp to another planets and Motherships. Careful: it requires IGC (in-game currency).
- Once you discover an inhabited planet, you can warp to it directly from you Mothership.
Gather a party
You are now ready for some serious adventures. Ok, let's gather a party:
- First of all, find a couple friends or allies and add them as friends using a special menu in the bottom right corner.
- Using the same menu, invite them to a party.
Attack pirate base
- Find a star system captured by pirates - it's painted in a pale red, blue or purple.
- Go to this system and find the base. You won't miss it - it's a big structure.
- Attack it using Right Mouse Button
- Inside the base, there are many things to do: kill bosses, destroy support stations which can be found across the map and then finally destroy the base which is usually in the middle of the instance.
Build new stations for your faction and attack enemy stations
If your House has 10000 reputation points, House leader and Adviser can build a new station. Find a system close to your faction system.
- Go to the system which is connected to your faction system and is not yet captured by any faction
- Choose a button on action bar with a station painted on it and push it
- Choose a hex and place station
- Wait while freighters get all the required resources from the systems connected to it and construction will be complete in 15 minutes
Attack enemy fleets and rob freighter
When you get a good fleet, you can try reaching enemy systems and attacking players, their freighters, patrols, and bases.
To attack enemy bases, you need to be a Head, Advisor or officer, depending on the base you want to attack:
- Make sure your House has enough reputation
- Get close to it, left-click and initiate an attack on it.
- Get into one of the instances and capture it, by capturing control points and getting the required amount of points.
- You need to capture several instances, depending on the base.
- Make sure you are in time, as a base attack event is limited in time.
Note: Some basic home systems can't be attacked.
Go to the Ranked mode to get some fun in a quick pvp battle!
Go to the main menu and push "Switch to Ranked Mode" button: here you can construct a fleet using a special set of equipment, creat a custom lobby and play with your friend or find an opponent for a duel.
There are two Ranked modes available now: Mothership mode and Domination. In both modes you need to capture control points and upgrade them - just like in Survival matches or base capturing event. Check a "Play a Survival mode" section at the beginning of this guide for more info.
Note: Mothership mode requires to defend the base and destroy it, while Domination - only to capture Control Points.
See you in Starfall Tactics!