Ship Combat systes

This one is for theorycrafters! Share new builds and post your thoughts on game mechanics.
superdude911
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Ship Combat systes

Postby superdude911 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:51 pm

I have a question or maybe even some advice on some amazing game mechanics that you guys maybe interested in, even if it is a later development.

I would love to be able to pledge the amounts needed to create modules, ships and various other things but since I cant hopefully these ideas will still be useful to the creative team.

Fighters: This is a module that I would love to have developed if I could. Fighters would be a great way to break up the standard capital ship versus capital ship type of combat, not to mention they are strategic assets. Fighters can deploy to stop larger more dangerous missiles like nukes (see Battle Star Galactica) or even torpedo, bombers, or boarding parties. Fighters are typically always launched in squadron formations which take up considerable room. Mainly because you have to house the fighters, pilots, repair crews, replacement parts, fuel, ammunition, and more. This would be a great new factor to change up the game. Especially with the dynamics of your missile system, fighters can actually block incoming missiles.

Torpedo/bombers: These two crafts play different roles but are still pretty similar. Torpedo boats are anti-ship while bombers are anti-star base or ground assault support. But something that can be unique about these ships is that they have turrets to help defend their ships. Which could be very fun.

Boarding Parties: This could be done in different ways. Sometimes it can be done with teleportation or simply by launching ships that are meant to latch onto the enemy hull and dispatch the soldiers inside. With the dynamics of the missiles, you could use the same system for launching these boarding parties in their own ships. It could actually mean that they could be destroyed by various missiles, beam weaponry, etc that are flying about in combat.
Sometimes boarding parties need to have enemy shields down in order to properly board the ship. Not in all the sci-fi worlds but in some of them.

Crew Capacity: As far as crew capacity is concerned, it can be difficult to calculate but then again you don't need to be so realistic. Just the larger the ship the more is needed for the day to day operation of the ship. Plus having crew can effect a number of different aspects with capital ships. Crew capacity can effect, Shield regeneration, Hull repair, Critical system repair, weapon firing, weapon accuracy, missile reload, navigation, speed of ship, fusion reactor containment (or whatever massive system drives the ship) and more. Also if the ship has been boarded, the ship crew has to divert resources to repel the invaders, causing a lag in some systems. Plus the assault teams can destroy certain systems inside the ship.
Also with crew capacity, armor can become even more important as nebula's or weaponry can spread radiation and if a ship isn't armored enough the radiation can kill the crew without directly harming the ship.

Some of these ideas would be really amazing to have in a already excellent system. also this allows for greater challenges and more variety inside the game. Not to mention more items could be available with different types of boarding party vessels, different types of fighters, bombers, and torpedo boats.
Lord of the apocalypse genre!

polaris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Ship Combat systes

Postby polaris » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:50 pm

some really cool and interesting ideas here :)

superdude911
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby superdude911 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:44 pm

I didn't realize I miss spelled system. that is very sad and embarrassing.

They are some definitely interesting systems. Other games of reference would be Star Trek: Armada for crew complements and boarding via teleportation. Star Wars Empire at War for fighter squadrons and spawning them, as well has cool critical system destruction.

Allowing fighter customization would be very intriguing, especially as you could outfit your fighters with different types of damage. anything from kinetic weaponry, beam weaponry, lasers, and plasma. you could really change up your combat style with that. and if some have a hyper-drive system, or whatever it is for interstellar travel, you could actually have some interesting scenarios with those.

superdude911
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby superdude911 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Just realized something about having crew capacity and crew complements:

You could actually have you special bridge crew members, kind of like on Star Trek. Gotta love Spock! And these crews can help with specific parts of the ship and like shield regeneration, navigation, repairs, repelling assaults or leading assaults. They could also give special abilities. This may work best for your 'characters' or 'profiles' flagship.

Also crews could range anywhere from a green crew to elite or royal or whatever each faction could offer. You could even have mercenary and pirate crews too. This would be a really fun way to effect the game in ways we can only imagine right now

A point of reference for bridge crews game wise come from Star Trek Online, although we wouldn't be fighting in a third person. capacity on land, just effecting the ship in space combat.

This could also lead to a VIP transfer mission with special VIP guards on the ship. Having Pirates or a rogue faction come in to try and kidnap or steal the VIP from you.

Just some more ideas for the game mechanics :)

mad-scorp
Lead Game Developer
Lead Game Developer

Postby mad-scorp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:18 am

Hi superdude911,
Thank you for you suggestions!

Fighters. I can assure you that we will implement carrier ship class as well as fighters/bombers. There are still several things to consider, such as, fighters squadron control, fighters customization. But we definitely can't imagine our game without huge slow carriers and swarms of fighters around them.

Boarding. We really want boarding. We just don't decide yet how exactly implement such system.

Crew I can`t promise you that we will implement crew management. But there are some planned researches about it. So play-test will show us, what to do with crew :)

Special bridge crew members. I like it, there is some potential. To be considered.

See ya!
We shall know no fear!

superdude911
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby superdude911 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:08 am

Thanks for the read mad-scorp.

I am really looking forward to this game. I love space games but sometimes they miss certain aspects. I would love to help in any way I can. i am primarily a board game and table top miniature game designer but I can help with some ideas or maybe even come up with some ways to implement some things, although my programing is way out of date.

if I can do anything to help you guys let me know. I really enjoy the idea of your game aND i hope to see it be successful

pwnstar
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby pwnstar » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:48 am

Star Wars Empire at War for fighter squadrons and spawning them, as well has cool critical system destruction.
Empire At War is an excellent suggestion. I really enjoyed that game and I'd hope Snowforged could be inspired by it.

Return to “Builds, Modules and Game Mechanics”