A thing about Teleportation/Gateways in Starfall.

Have a cool idea for Starfall Online? Any suggestions on how to make the game better? Let us know!
ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A thing about Teleportation/Gateways in Starfall.

Postby ebergar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:45 am

Hello,

As presented in the movies, there are ways to teleport ships around battlefield through special engines or modules (as I suspect).

Here are some ideas how this teleportation could be used in... more creative way:
  • Teleport an unexpected ship armada right into "losing" scenery of battle. Serious debt included.
  • Teleport basically anything into battle scene: how about creating a vastly huge cannon right inside the empire/territory, then using this cannon to generate enormous blast of energy targeting nearest active portal. Then open this portal right nearby enemies' main ship, leagues away, blasting it into tiny bits as completely unexpected action.
  • Move Your forces around galaxy as needed and requested.
  • Catch a moving asteroid into active gate, and then release it right nearby enemy fleet, crushing them utterly.
  • When a player would like to join ongoing battle, his /her ships would use this kind of technology to arrive.
  • Open portal right before fast moving enemy ship, so it could not maneuver out of the portal. Teleportation sends the ship directly into nearby star/sun core.
  • One crew member activates a grenade inside his ship. Then teleports this grenade right into enemies command center, annihilating high ranking members. Enemy fleet scatters and flees.
  • Board other ship by teleporting commandos.
  • Launch a missile. Target small teleport. Open it behind enemy ship shield. Profit. Bonus points when opened inside enemy ship fuel storage.
  • Open small gate. The other end opens inside enemy command center. Your hand goes into gate, and clicks "self destruct" on the other side.
  • Portal Shield: When ship manages to properly analyze trajectory of a bullet, laser or missile, its systems open a portal right in front of it. The other end of portal opens nearby, but in opposite direction. Result is that each attack upon this ship would be targeted to the attacker.
  • Ultimate Self-Destruct Collision Warship: A ship, that teleports itself right INSIDE target enemy ship.
  • Utterly Plausible Galactic Uber Troll: Get Your fighters camo-ed into Your enemy fighters. All colours and banners included. Teleport them right inside enemy carrier. Make enemy fuel them up, gear them up, and release them upon "their foes". Bonus Points for destroying the carrier using it's own bullets.
  • Utterly Plausible Galactic Uber Prank: manage to teleport infinite balls into all manageable places inside target warship. Decrypt all WTF messages. Raise morale of whole fleet.
  • Teleport a ship vertically. Bug out the game.
Nope, I did not play any "Portal" games. Just Dwarf Fortress.

mad-scorp
Lead Game Developer
Lead Game Developer

Re: A thing about Teleportation/Gateways in Starfall.

Postby mad-scorp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 am

Hello,

As presented in the movies, there are ways to teleport ships around battlefield through special engines or modules (as I suspect).

Here are some ideas how this teleportation could be used in... more creative way:
  • Teleport an unexpected ship armada right into "losing" scenery of battle. Serious debt included.
  • Teleport basically anything into battle scene: how about creating a vastly huge cannon right inside the empire/territory, then using this cannon to generate enormous blast of energy targeting nearest active portal. Then open this portal right nearby enemies' main ship, leagues away, blasting it into tiny bits as completely unexpected action.
  • Move Your forces around galaxy as needed and requested.
  • Catch a moving asteroid into active gate, and then release it right nearby enemy fleet, crushing them utterly.
  • When a player would like to join ongoing battle, his /her ships would use this kind of technology to arrive.
  • Open portal right before fast moving enemy ship, so it could not maneuver out of the portal. Teleportation sends the ship directly into nearby star/sun core.
  • One crew member activates a grenade inside his ship. Then teleports this grenade right into enemies command center, annihilating high ranking members. Enemy fleet scatters and flees.
  • Board other ship by teleporting commandos.
  • Launch a missile. Target small teleport. Open it behind enemy ship shield. Profit. Bonus points when opened inside enemy ship fuel storage.
  • Open small gate. The other end opens inside enemy command center. Your hand goes into gate, and clicks "self destruct" on the other side.
  • Portal Shield: When ship manages to properly analyze trajectory of a bullet, laser or missile, its systems open a portal right in front of it. The other end of portal opens nearby, but in opposite direction. Result is that each attack upon this ship would be targeted to the attacker.
  • Ultimate Self-Destruct Collision Warship: A ship, that teleports itself right INSIDE target enemy ship.
  • Utterly Plausible Galactic Uber Troll: Get Your fighters camo-ed into Your enemy fighters. All colours and banners included. Teleport them right inside enemy carrier. Make enemy fuel them up, gear them up, and release them upon "their foes". Bonus Points for destroying the carrier using it's own bullets.
  • Utterly Plausible Galactic Uber Prank: manage to teleport infinite balls into all manageable places inside target warship. Decrypt all WTF messages. Raise morale of whole fleet.
  • Teleport a ship vertically. Bug out the game.
Nope, I did not play any "Portal" games. Just Dwarf Fortress.
Cool stuff! :)
We like "portal" mechanics, and definitely will try to implement it in our game.
We shall know no fear!

alanir
Galaxy Explorer
Galaxy Explorer

Postby alanir » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:28 am

Portal Shield: When ship manages to properly analyze trajectory of a bullet, laser or missile, its systems open a portal right in front of it. The other end of portal opens nearby, but in opposite direction. Result is that each attack upon this ship would be targeted to the attacker.
Nice! :D
Sith will not come through!

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:04 am

The benefits of sitting in fresh forum are that developers are more talkative than usual :) Because they're able to read everything :P

dream3r
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dream3r » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

The benefits of sitting in fresh forum are that developers are more talkative than usual :) Because they're able to read everything :P
Yup, I remember there was a Facebook game called Galaxy Life and I had made some suggestings on their new forum to include a radar system in space to help spot other players and such and the devs said they really liked the idea...sure enough a few weeks later the game had an update and there was the radar system I described :D

The Snow Forged guys probably aren't going to implement many of the features people here suggest simply because there's always a million ideas of what would be cool to add but you have to focus on what is needed then and there to actually make the game work. But it's cool there's a chance that they'll actually act on a suggestion.

I'll likely list several of my own at some point but it's too early to do so since I don't really know what the game has to offer just yet.

polaris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby polaris » Wed May 20, 2015 11:12 am

Maybe some 'expensive' blueprints which prevent some of the above suggested things, for example a signal which prevents people from teleporting temporarily ?

techmarine5
Ensign
Ensign

Postby techmarine5 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:53 am

You might add a "warp ship" that was slow and expensive, but allowed allies to warp into your battle. You might also add build able warp gates in the faction wars, that would be expensive and immobile, and likely take a while to build, but are connected to all other warp gates that you control. Ship goes in one end and ends up at another in a different system. Good for defense, and could possibly be used for offense. You might build one while a faction isn't paying attention, and then warp in an army, or you could take on of theirs.
We may not be able to predict the future, but we can certainly create it.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:32 am

You might add a "warp ship" that was slow and expensive, but allowed allies to warp into your battle. You might also add build able warp gates in the faction wars, that would be expensive and immobile, and likely take a while to build, but are connected to all other warp gates that you control. Ship goes in one end and ends up at another in a different system. Good for defense, and could possibly be used for offense. You might build one while a faction isn't paying attention, and then warp in an army, or you could take on of theirs.
Thank you for your suggestions!
I am not sure if I understand you right about "warp ship", but allies already can warp in ships around your Mothership, and on Control points upgraded to Warp Station in quick 2vs.2 matches. There is also a warp homer module you can set into your ship - its is very huge, and you can you allies can warp in ships on it.
I'm watching you!

techmarine5
Ensign
Ensign

Postby techmarine5 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't know what I was thinking with the warp ship idea, maybe it was for the galaxy map, but allies can already join you there, right? I didn't know about the teleport homer, but it does sound like what I was talking about.
We may not be able to predict the future, but we can certainly create it.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:22 am

I don't know what I was thinking with the warp ship idea, maybe it was for the galaxy map, but allies can already join you there, right? I didn't know about the teleport homer, but it does sound like what I was talking about.
Right, you can join your freinds on Galaxy Map in battles if you are somethere near ;)
I'm watching you!

Return to “Features and Suggestions”