WIP Concept Art

Take a sneak peak at what we've been doing lately.
dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Re: WIP Concept Art

Postby dvan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:50 am

It's them battleship boyz~

I'm starting to feel like most of my recent shape ideas are just remixes of old ideas, but I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing, right? There's bound to be an element that we've used on at least one of the other fifty or sixty ships. And there's only so much combinations out there, I think. My next plan is to start involving the Z-axis in the equasion more frequently, especially on larger ships where vertical slice is actually noticable in battle.

battlesnips.png

I always wanted to do a flying saucer for Vanguard, but I suppose giving them a bootleg Enterprise NX-01 is sufficient enough replacement. But man, flying saucers are never not cool. You should hear all the quest/encounter ideas that go around the office when they get mentioned. Cow abduction may or may not be involved.

tommo
Ensign
Ensign

Postby tommo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Great work once again Dvan! Looking forward to the Vanguard ships!!!
Ooo is that a freighter full of resources O_o... *Few minutes later* Mine! Mine!Mine!

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:22 am

This new batch of weapons finally convinced me to make a switch from Kerkythea to Blender Cycles as a renderer of choice. I can't afford to wait 40 minutes for each picture to get ready. I can't even go and do anything else while it's computing in background! There are probably some smart tweaks I could have done to make it go faster, but ugh, can't be bothered to dive into technicalities of ray tracing. Especially since Cycles does it literally ten times faster out of the box. It can also render objects on a transparent background, which is just sooooo freaking useful. No more black and white mask passes, baby!

The scene took a little while to set up, but now the pipeline is all nice and neat. Sketchup models import surprisingly well too. Not well enough for game assets or even high poly meshes, of course, but enough to look good in the viewport, which is what matters! Here's our Tornado Rocket Launcher! I paint over each of my renders to give it a slightly painterly look, accentuate shapes and compensate for the lack of properly beveled edges.

tornado.jpg

I figured I'll stop apologizing for long delays between posts, because when you read it as an archive it just looks like a long string of me making excuses, lol.

Return to “Work In Progress”