WIP Concept Art

Take a sneak peak at what we've been doing lately.
dvan
Art Director
Art Director

WIP Concept Art

Postby dvan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:07 am

There's been a bit of a radio silence on our end due to a large portion of the studio going on a short vacation, but now we're back in full swing! Woo-hoo! Alpha release here we come!

We figured we could be a little bit more open about our development process, since many of you were kind enough to support us with your hard-earned money and would probably like to see your dollars/euros/rubles at work. And it's just a lot more fun to share new stuff as you go and not hide it away for months. I figured I'll break the ice and just start a topic for all the new (and non-spoilery) content I've been doing recently. I'm a 2D artist/designer guy, so it will mostly be concept art and GUI. Other devs should join soon enough.

Right now I'm chipping away at the new Eclipse mothership model. It's one hell of a thing. 2 km wide and 3 high. Detailing it will be the death of me. Thank god for symmetry! Still needs a name though. I've been using references to famous gemstones for naming Eclipse vessels, but I don't think there is a diamond big enough for this bad boy. Or girl. Ships are usually female, right?
mothership3.png
mothership3.png (444.06 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
mothership.png
mothership.png (367.06 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
Bonus screenshot: our initial pool of candidates!
I'm still partial to the jellyfish one.
mothership2.png
mothership2.png (410.35 KiB) Viewed 3824 times

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Re: WIP Concept Art

Postby dvan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:30 am

Did a few blueprint card backgrounds. Chances are absolutely zero of these will make it into the final game, but at least we somewhat figured out how we want them to look in the future. I wish we could make them as pretty and compact as Hearthstone cards, but with how much info we need to display on them, that's probably not happening.
blueprints_TEST.png
Also, the Eclipse mothership concept model is pretty much done! Now to wait until it renders (aaany minute now) and pretty it up in Photoshop. Here, have a dramatic angle:
eclipse_mothership_test3.png

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:37 am

The mothership is complete! :D I called it Millenium. As in Millenium Star Millenium. Because Koh-I-Noor would probably be a silly name. Not to mention trademarked. Here it is in all of its ray-traced glory:
eclipse_mothership_forum.png
Also, do not be alarmed, but we might be looking into a change of art direction concerning our spaceships pretty soon. As much as we're happy with the style we've been developing so far, it just doesn't sound like a viable option with our current deadlines. It takes us weeks to finish a decent model and considering that all of them are RTS-style units that will mostly be seen from far far away, that's kind of an overkill. So we're revamping the whole pipeline. Optimizing one things, simplifying other.

Here's one of our experiments so far. Still needs a normal map though.
sierra.png

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 am

Doodling silhouettes on a lazy Monday. Sometimes I wish we were making a game like Starsector, where a greebled top-down projection was all you ever had to do. Man, wouldn't that be something…

I expanded my naming convention for Deprived vessels from «names of wizard dudes» to «names of wizard dudes, witches and pretty much any cool-sounding paranormal stuff», with bonus points for subtle nods to John Dee. Just like Vanguard got upped from «legendary swords» to «any named artifact significant enough to have a Wikipedia page».

Filed under DEEPEST LORE.
sil_sketches.png

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:51 am

It's fat, it's red and it'll kick your capitalist butt all the way back to Saturn. Give it up for Aegis.
Still has a long way to go, but I'm happy with it so far.
aegis.png
Oh, and here's a quick shot of a finished Sierra in-engine. This time with a normal map, reflective material and all the other important stuff. It looks a lot less cartoony, if you've had worries about that.
sierra2.png

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Gorgeous. Truly.

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:21 am

Gorgeous. Truly.
Thank you kindly!

Some more sketches, this time more on the Eclipse side of things. The big one could use a rework, but I just wanted to try some outside of the box thinking for a change. Also, ALL HAIL THE HALF-EATEN VANGUARD DONUT. IT IS BOTH WISE AND TERRIBLE.
sil_sketches2.png
And here's a finished Aegis! I think our experiments are finally starting to pay off. Easily my favorite ship we've done so far.
aegis.jpg

ebergar
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Postby ebergar » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Easily my favorite ship we've done so far.
For me, the Eclipse mothership, Milennium Star, is easily the best among these :)

And take a look at these shinies:
Wallpaper_Empire.jpg
I have always loved their look, and played whole campaign just with them.

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 am

For me, the Eclipse mothership, Milennium Star, is easily the best among these :)
Yeah, I like it as well. But I'll reserve my judgment until it's an actual 3D-model in the game. Sometimes things that look good on concept art don't translate well into the real deal.
And take a look at these shinies:
They're adorable, haha :)

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:49 am

Who's up for a game of «Where's Waldo»? (Spoiler: He's not really there)
txt1.png

Return to “Work In Progress”