WIP Concept Art

Take a sneak peak at what we've been doing lately.
dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Re: WIP Concept Art

Postby dvan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:05 pm

Glad you guys liked it! And I hope everyone is having a blast in the ongoing pre-alpha test :D Pirates are kicking my butt prettttty hard haha it's 5 AM I am so very tired.

Anyway, I'm using my long office hours to work on portraits for remaining factions, so here's the sketch for Eclipse. I feel like this version definitely has more… character. But I'm not too sure on that character being «space douchebags». Really wish I could be better at drawing people of color too. Although I do kind of like the emerging speakeasy vibe of the female outfit. That was a pleasant surprise and could really be an interesting new art direction for Eclipse.
eppeeps.jpg

tommo
Ensign
Ensign

Postby tommo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:20 pm

They look sooo cool, nice one dvan. I do like a bit of drawing myself (I'm fairly ok at it) but yours is really good.
Ooo is that a freighter full of resources O_o... *Few minutes later* Mine! Mine!Mine!

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:20 am

They look sooo cool, nice one dvan. I do like a bit of drawing myself (I'm fairly ok at it) but yours is really good.
Thanks! Care to link some of your personal artwork? :)

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 am

Happy 2017! We're back to work in full swing and I finally got to finish Eclipse portraits. I like Deprived a lot more, but these still turned out better than I feared. The blue hair slightly elevated the guy from spoiled rich kid to punk hakerman. And once I rendered the dress it began to look somewhat passable for an item of sophisticated future clothing. Ugh, why did no one warned me that designing characters consists so heavily of scrolling through fashion blogs?

eppeeps_finished.jpg
Bonus content:
I love gradient maps so, so much
originalsoldierDONOTSTEAL.jpg
Last edited by dvan on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

tommo
Ensign
Ensign

Postby tommo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks! Care to link some of your personal artwork? :)
I do drawing on paper, but I've drawn images such as Darth zmaul and Spider-Man and they have had really good results.
Damn the 2017 ones look great keep going Dvan :D
And Happy 2017!
Ooo is that a freighter full of resources O_o... *Few minutes later* Mine! Mine!Mine!

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:28 am

I do drawing on paper, but I've drawn images such as Darth zmaul and Spider-Man and they have had really good results.
Damn the 2017 ones look great keep going Dvan :D
And Happy 2017!

Wish you luck with your drawings. And thanks! :D

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:28 am

I'm too occupied with UI beautification to fully focus on Vanguard portraits, but I did get a sketch done in the meantime. These ones are more of an alternative take than an upgrade since Vanguard are supposed to be somewhat ascetic in clothing either way. But I would still have had to redraw them for the sake of consistency and hey, at least now they don't look like they stepped directly out of a 19th century ballroom.

I thought that «dad who's slightly disappointed in you» would be a good fit for a Vanguard fellow. Which may or may not be influenced by me watching too much Battlestar Galactica lately. The girl is pretty much the same sans spiky anime haircut and addition of suspenders, but I love the spunky pioneer redhead archetype too much to part with it so easily.

vanpeeps.jpg

iludium
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby iludium » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 am

Amazing work!

Also im one of the people who will be viewing everything zoomed way out ....sorry and thank you ;) beautiful work!
Just a Guy... :lol:

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 am

Amazing work!

Also im one of the people who will be viewing everything zoomed way out ....sorry and thank you ;) beautiful work!

Thanks! :D

Vanguard portrait is finished! I always wanted for Vanguard uniforms to have holographic (hard light??) epaulettes, but wanted them to be these situational not-always-on thingies? It was supposed to be revealed in the comic, but boy oh boy, it can be years before I get back to drawing that. So yeah, they def have those.

vanpeeps_finished.jpg
I actually really like how this one turned out. But I also simultaneously hate it with all of my being, because it looks noticably more refined than the rest of the faction portraits and goddamn it, this is what ALWAYS happens when I have to render a lot of something. You draw the part you're most excited about first, get in the groove and the last thing you draw ends up being the best. Remember our cinematic trailer? I started animating it from scene two and once all images were finished, I had to go back and draw it AGAIN, just because it looked crap compared to the rest of the trailer.

Now I doubt that I'll actually be masochistic enough to go revisit Deprived and Eclipse portraits so soon, but some changes will have to be done. Ugh. Uugghhhh. Uuggghhhhhhhhhhhh. The longest of ughs imaginable.

dvan
Art Director
Art Director

Postby dvan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:41 am

I know you thirsty animals are itching to see what our new Carrier class of spaceships will look like, so here's a little glimpse at what Vanguard will have up their sleeve. This baby is 1200 m long and I can already see Dr. Banana going insane trying to texture it. Only to be greeted by two more carriers that need a new coat of paint. Let's all pray for Dr. Banana, that brave little soul.

almace.png
sketch.png

I was unsure about the name at first, since Almace is not exactly a top shelf legendary artifact a carrier class Vanguard ship deserves to be named after (like Excalibur or Mjölnir), but it is apparently translated as «almighty» from Old Norse, so. Yeah. Yep. That'll do.

Return to “Work In Progress”