Final impressions (October 2017 Pre-Alpha)

Discuss technical problems and post workarounds to known issues.
jimenc
Recruit
Recruit

Final impressions (October 2017 Pre-Alpha)

Postby jimenc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:25 am

Hello,

I'm not sure if the pre-alpha is over or not, since I'm still able to login and play. I hope you guys can keep it running as long as possible. Anyway, I thought I give my impressions of my experiences up to this point.

First, I think you guys did a great job in the non-galaxy conquest side of the game. Quick Matches, Challenges, Duels; these are mostly stable. Except for a minor control issue, these parts of the game are really fun. The Duel aspect of the game looked too much like MOBA, and I'm not much into MOBA. So I didn't really play that part of the game. For the others, here are some suggestions. They are minor, so it doesn't really matter to me if you implement them. It's still fun the way it is.

1. The Quick Matches should have more than 3 levels. At least the "Normal" level should be broken up. This level feels like it's a trial by fire.
2. The Rocket challenge really needs a bigger sector map. If the point of the challenge is to "kite" the enemy, you need a lot of room to kite. Of course, I was having trouble controlling the frigates. I group them, and the move commands just sends them in wild directions sometimes.
3. The Challenges needs a more gradual difficulty scale. Bronze, Silver, Gold is too abrupt. Bronze is easy (not too easy), but Silver is much harder than Bronze.

Now to the biggest issue I have with Starfall Tactics.

It seems the Galaxy Conquest didn't get as much attention in terms of design. There's simply not much to do. Basically, you only have 3 tasks, farm resources, attack pirates, or attack structures (motherships/outposts/etc.). Most strategy games have research. There's none of that in this game. The game feels like the designers are trying to wrap strategy over a MOBA game. I would like to see some of the following:

1. Allow more engineering spaces and energy points. I have lots of modules, but I either don’t have enough engineering spaces or energy points to use them.
2. Allow combat to last longer. A ship gets damaged too quickly. You never seem to have time to retreat for repairs. You don’t have time to think, you’re put in MOBA mode. If you don’t issue more commands than your opponent, you’re going to lose. That’s not strategy, nor tactics.
3. Reduce ramming tactics. It seems every time I attack a pirate, their first strategy is to ram down my HP’s before opening fire on me.
4. Why isn’t there a retreat option? How about surrender our cargo? Once again, it feels like a MOBA game. Your goals are destroy everything before you’re destroyed.
5. More varied ship shapes. Seems most ships are round or rounded squares. How come there’s no triangular ships? Or wedge shaped ships?

Unfortunately, I didn’t get very far in my leveling up. So I didn’t get a chance to use more advance formations. Once I’ve done more in game, I’ll provide more feedback.

--jc

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Final impressions (October 2017 Pre-Alpha)

Postby relampago » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 am

Hello,

I'm not sure if the pre-alpha is over or not, since I'm still able to login and play. I hope you guys can keep it running as long as possible. Anyway, I thought I give my impressions of my experiences up to this point.
Hello Jimenc,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, we really apppreciate this! Don't even now what I can comment here, so just will save it as it is :)
I'm watching you!

Return to “Technical Issues”