Error when trying to start the game from launcher: "An error occurred while starting game client."

Discuss technical problems and post workarounds to known issues.
superman0x
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Re: Error when trying to start the game from launcher: "An error occurred while starting game client."

Postby superman0x » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:03 pm

I am here at work, and the issue does seem related to the network. There seems to be a check BEFORE the client can launch, and it passes on my work network, but not my home network. It does not seem to be a connectivity issue (as that error is different), but it is something I can duplicate. I have also tried both wireless and hardline here at work, which seems to have no effect.

I am unclear what is causing this, as it is not clear what is being checked for at this stage.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Error when trying to start the game from launcher: "An error occurred while starting game client."

Postby relampago » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:09 am

I am here at work, and the issue does seem related to the network. There seems to be a check BEFORE the client can launch, and it passes on my work network, but not my home network. It does not seem to be a connectivity issue (as that error is different), but it is something I can duplicate. I have also tried both wireless and hardline here at work, which seems to have no effect.

I am unclear what is causing this, as it is not clear what is being checked for at this stage.
Ok, thank you for the info - I'll transfer it to our devs and one who are in charge of launcher things so they could find a solution.
I'm watching you!

superman0x
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby superman0x » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 am

Ok. Just more information to throw your way. While at work I started the launcher, launched the game, but did not sign in. I then closed my laptop, but didnt turn it off, and went home. I played the rest of the day at home without any issue. The next day, the game crashed, and I had to restart.... and it worked fine. However, I have not restarted my machine yet, so I still may not be clear. In the morning, before going in, I will restart here at home, and try it again, and provide an update.

Ok. After a restart at home, I am getting the same error again.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:58 am

Ok. Just more information to throw your way. While at work I started the launcher, launched the game, but did not sign in. I then closed my laptop, but didnt turn it off, and went home. I played the rest of the day at home without any issue. The next day, the game crashed, and I had to restart.... and it worked fine. However, I have not restarted my machine yet, so I still may not be clear. In the morning, before going in, I will restart here at home, and try it again, and provide an update.

Ok. After a restart at home, I am getting the same error again.
Do you have a Windows 10 OS? You can try checking UAC settings - can be usually found in Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Security and Service Center - and try moving it to the lower position.
Also, do you have anything special installed that can potentially limit your access to files? Or, most likely, special network settings?
I'm watching you!

superman0x
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby superman0x » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:12 pm

This is a Windows 7 Ultimate (64) install.

It is added to a Windows Domain, which means that it uses a cached profile when I logon from any other location/offline. I am also a domain admin, so I have the maximum rights possible. If there were an issue with the program while on the domain, I would suspect domain rules, but it is the opposite, so it is not clear what is causing this.

Update. I have set the UAC to its lowest settings, restarted and tried again. No Change.

If you could identify what check it is doing that generates this error, it may help in trying to identify why it is failing.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:20 am

It is added to a Windows Domain, which means that it uses a cached profile when I logon from any other location/offline. I am also a domain admin, so I have the maximum rights possible. If there were an issue with the program while on the domain, I would suspect domain rules, but it is the opposite, so it is not clear what is causing this.

Update. I have set the UAC to its lowest settings, restarted and tried again. No Change.

If you could identify what check it is doing that generates this error, it may help in trying to identify why it is failing.
Hello once again, I have some new for you: we found things which could cause this trouble and will update launcher. So, when the next launcher version is out - it should become ok for you.
The bad news is that the update won't be out before the test ends :(\

The check is this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/366 ... r-exe-file
I'm watching you!

superman0x
Deck Supervisor
Deck Supervisor

Postby superman0x » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello once again, I have some new for you: we found things which could cause this trouble and will update launcher. So, when the next launcher version is out - it should become ok for you.
The bad news is that the update won't be out before the test ends :(\

Great to hear. I will verify on the next test.

relampago
Community Manager
Community Manager

Postby relampago » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:15 am

The bad news is that the update won't be out before the test ends :(

Great to hear. I will verify on the next test.
Ok, thanks a lot!
I'm watching you!

Return to “Technical Issues”